Friday, July 8, 2011

Pros and Cons (Megan)

Often times I'll be doing something or, more correctly, attempting to do something, and I'll think "this is another reason to lose weight.  I have to add this to the list".  What list?  Well, for years I've been mentally compiling a list of reasons to lose weight.  A list of "Pros", if you will.  I've never actually written it down because honestly, it's endless.  Take two seconds to think about it and you can probably rattle off 20 reasons of your own just like that. 

However, on every Pros list there have to be Cons, right?  Or, only for a glass-is-half-empty-excuse-making-fatty?  Well, that's me, so on my list I figured I had to think about the Cons.  There had to be reasons not to do it. Thing is, that list has never gotten any longer than the first time I thought about.  I think and think and think and everything all boils down to two measly things:

1.  Dieting and losing weight is hard. 
2.  I like food.  

What does this all mean?  It means that by staying fat I've let the voice of these two Cons speak louder than a list of Pros a mile long.  How can something like "it's hard" speak more to me than "you have to do this to see your daughter graduate from HS, get married and have babies of her own?".  

It can't, I vow to change that.  

Now, don't get me wrong, losing weight is hard and I really do like food (a lot.  too much, actually).  But, I have too many reasons to lose this weight that I have to start listening.   Some reasons are profound, but not all.  Sure, I want to see Jane grow up and be healthy during my next pregnancy.  But, I would also love to have my thighs no longer rub together and be able to wear a sundress.   Feeling more sexy and attractive for my Husband?  Also on there.   The point is I owe it to family as well as myself to JUST.DO.IT.

Follow along on the journey....

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I was complaining about our trip to Chicago, about not wanting to mess up Zac's schedule for a 48 round trip. He said, "We can't stop doing things because they are hard."

My replay, "Watch me."

The same applies, here. Like you it's easy to say I want this, I want that, but throw ice cream in my face and those two little cons you mentioned will ALWAYS win.

If a bowl of granola and yogart could tempt us like whipped cream and hot fudge, we would have this problem.

It's all about portion control, and having a little self respect.

Melissa said...

I love food... like you, really love it. I need to change my mindset because I think about food a lot. I have to find something else to obsess over!

Amy said...

I love food too! And it sounds like you are really ready to move on your goal now.

Amy said...

and by the way I love the picture you have up of you and Jane!

Tiffany said...

That's my hardest struggle too... food is just too damn good. Best of luck Megan!!

Sarah said...

I agree...love of food is so hard to conquer. I guess we all just need to work more towards moderation of the things we love. :)