Have you ever seen that movie Run Fat Boy Run?? It's funny and whenever I am running I just think about the movie. I think about how at the end he never gave up and even though he was running at a snail's pace, he kept going. It's a stupid movie, and not at all supposed to be inspirational, but hey I take inspiration wherever I can get it.
So after my hubby got home and we put the twins to bed I was feeling a little antsy. So it has stopped raining, the sun was shining and the humidity had died down. I decided to go for a walk. I was hoping I would run, but planned to just walk and if I ran, great. I walked to my usual spot and then started running. Then I see one of my former students' parents across the street a couple minutes into my run. Yup a short shouting across the street, while completely breathless conversation took place. I then continued chugging along. I figured I'd then run my normal one mile. Well about 3/4 of the way through a car pulls into a driveway ahead of me, and I see a car full of people staring at me. They get out, and yup, its another former student, her mom, and older sister. Another short breathless conversation takes place as I jog by. I think, really? I purposely jog in the opposite direction of where I teach and I still run into students??? So annoying, but now they will know how I became so svelte by the beginning of the new school year ;-)
So I reach my mile and am feeling pretty good so I decide to keep running a little more, and then run a little more, until I see where I started, I run to that point (completing a loop around the pond). I did it, I ran 1.25 miles straight!!! Whoohoo, I was so proud of myself. Then I turned around and walked home. The run took 17 minutes, but my complete walking and running took 40 minutes by the time I reached the end of my driveway. So my goal now for the next two weeks is to continue running 1.25 miles (since its a nice loop around the pond) and just increase my time.
Success is about setting small attainable goals. My goal was to go for a walk and I then ended up running 1.25 miles! The last thing I want at this point in my journey is to set myself up for failure. My small goal for the week, to run 2 more times this week. Fingers crossed I don't see any more student the next two times though!
3 comments:
way to go!!
Great job Melissa! I am inspired by your determination. It is too hot here to do anything outside...
Amanda.. you can do it girl! Just jog for 10 seconds. Any little bit is better than nothing, although getting out for a walk in that heat is amazing! Make a small goal, like jogging for 10 seconds. You can do that!!!
Post a Comment