Thursday, April 19, 2012

Family visit review (Melissa)

Okay, so I went and visited with my family. FIL, StepMIL, and SIL said nothing. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't know what to say. DH and I did go for a 3 mile run while we were down there so they obviously knew we have been exercising and such.

Then we visit with my dad, grandfather, uncle, aunt, and cousin. Nothing there either. I'm actually surprised my dad didn't say anything because he usually notices when people gain/lose weight.

Okay so moving onto the rest of my family. Grandma was very complimentary! She was like "you look so good!" "you haven't been this skinny in a long time!" "You look great!" It was great to hear some compliments! Then I saw my aunt, and she said nothing. Then last came my mother. She did give some compliments of how I look good. Then I was outside talking to her and she goes "You look really good, but you still have your thighs" I replied with "Yes, mom, thanks to you and G-ma I have a wonderful pear shape!"

I knew she was going to compliment me and then make some other comment. I bit my tongue and didn't say much else as I handed her two bags of size 18s, 20s, XXL and 1X shirts.

So I really only got compliments from my mom and gma, so it makes me wonder, is it not that noticeable or do people just not know what to say? It's okay to compliment someone on losing weight. I've worked hard and would just like to know that others notice. I feel selfish for saying that, but its' true.

As for the eating, I kept it in check, except for one night. Oh the pizza dip and buffalo chicken cheesesteak was soo good! Then I topped it off with a root beer float (although it was light ice cream and diet root beer). I felt sooo gross after. Lesson learned, it was way too much food!

This week I am back on track. I went for a run on Tuesday, tried a new exercise class (Barre N9ne) and will be going for a 4 mile run today, then tomorrow back to Barre N9ne. I am excited for the new class and hope it will help tone up my muscles!! I am so sore today so I hope I can do the full 4 miles, but we shall see.

4 comments:

Teri said...

Sorry it wasn't what you were hoping for, Melissa! Honestly, I would have been bummed too.

I have received some positive comments namely family, but squat from my friends. It bums me out!

You are doing awesome, and it is definitely noticeable via pics!

Yay for the new class, I am glad its a good workout.

Melissa said...

Amanda - you are totally right about my mom and the jealousy thing. I knew that she was going to make some snide comment so it didn't bother me because I expected it. I know I look better and feel better, and am just going to keep chugging along!

Nikki said...

Aw, that sucks that your family didn't really give you the recognition that you deserve. You've come a long way and it definitiely shows. Maybe they just didn't really know what to say. Sometimes if I notice that someone has lost weight, I worry that by saying that they look great now implies that I thought they looked bad before. So instead of possibly offending them, I don't say anything.

Keep plugging away and do it for yourself. You know you look good and that's all that matters!

Amanda said...

Don't let the family get you down, if anything, I think they could be jealous.

Good job staying mostly in check!