Friday, April 6, 2012

Just have to brag (Melissa)

OMG, so I just ran 4 miles!! I am planning to do a half marathon this September or October and want to start increasing my mileage. So today, since I was off and the girls are at daycare I decided to try running 4 miles. I mapped a 4 mile route (thanks to mapmyrun.com) and made plans to go after I ran some errands this morning. I ended up running into a friend while at Old Navy and we got coffee but I told her that I had to leave to go home and run! I think that's the first time I've put running ahead of socializing!!

Anyway, I knew once I started running I wouldn't stop, but I just dreaded how long it would take. The worst part....miles 1.5 to 2.5 were all uphill! It was a slight incline the whole mile and I had a strong wind coming off a pond to contend with! Then the stupid map was wrong so the road that was supposed to connect to another was actually a dead end so I had to loop back (so actually I ended up running 4.11 miles). But I just chugged along!!! I knew once I got to mile 3 I would be fine because the last mile is a slight downhill the whole way. It took me 50:39, which is a 12:20 mile pace. I am very pleased!!! I am really loving it too, the time to myself to think and just observe the scenery (sounds so corny, right?). I love knowing that what I am doing is making me healthier, helping me lose weight, and look better at the same time!!

Now we'll see what the scale says tomorrow :-)

5 comments:

Teri said...

You rock, Melissa! So proud of you:) Shopping, coffee, and a great run - sounds like an amazingly productive day:)

Amanda said...

You go girl!!! It's always hard to put our fitness in front of socializing, it was much easier for me when I was on a team sport and couldn't let me team down. So, props to not letting yourself down!

Lynsey Kaye said...

Great job, Melissa!!

You could always look into finding a running group near you. The ones I run with have people at all different levels. That was you can socialize and run at the same time. It's great and makes the time FLY by.

Nikki said...

Way to go Melissa!

Renee said...

That's awesome Melissa!