Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Accountability (Erin)

I had a discussion with my husband this past weekend about holding me accountable for my actions. I told him that I wanted him to be brutally honest with me, no matter what. If he thinks I am slacking on exercise, I want him to tell me. I told him what days I was planning on doing C25K and my Jillian Michaels workouts and if I tried making an excuse to tell me to get off my butt and exercise. He also has free reign to tell me to step away from the food/drinks if need be. I told him I need an ever present person in my life to help hold me accountable for my actions (besides you ladies of course ;-)) and so far he has held up his end of the deal. He has come home every day this week so far and asked when I am going to work out and we discuss what we both ate that day. He has also been telling me he is proud of me, which makes me happy.

I also made the decision that I need to hold myself accountable for my actions. Eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's is a temporary good feeling, it won't make me feel better afterwards. Drinking a soda is just empty calories, my body will much more satisfied eating my calories in a healthy way. Eating a salad for lunch will make me feel better than eating a Big Mac. Exercising each evening will give me time alone, make me sweat, and make me feel good about myself, sitting on the couch all night won't. By doing all of these things I will help myself lead a new, healthier lifestyle and set good, healthy examples for my children.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Erin, so happy that Jeremy is being so supportive. While you girls are amazing support, it helps having a hubby that will take over with watching the little one and cooking dinner, sharing in my happiness when I have a good week, and giving me that extra kick I need to go to the gym sometimes. At the end of the day, we are accountable to ourselves and the ones we love!

Accountability can be so hard, I often have an internal struggle when I have a craving for something or am feeling lazy and would rather just relax. But I do what you have written, I just remember the reason why I started doing this to begin with, and keep plugging away!