Sunday, September 22, 2013

Baby Steps (Diane)

Nope, sorry, no weight today.  I'm only going to report once a week.

Yesterday (Saturday) was my subdivision garage sale day. I LOVE garage sales, yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores, anything where I can shop and pick up new to me things for cheap!  Its all in the thrill of the hunt, and even if I don't find anything I want I usually have conversations and meet new people and its fun.

I ventured over to the part of our subdivision that has the bigger houses and found a house with a ton of books. I LOVE books. I love to read, even though my time is limited, and buying a huge box of books (which I did, for $15) can keep me entertained for several months. One of the books that caught my eye, that the previous owner told me was really good, was "The Eat-Clean Diet". I bought it. Last night I picked it up to thumb through a little and the very first line I read, on the first page I turned to, was "Your current physique pretty much reflects what you are putting into it. The body doesn't lie. It tells the truth. If you are neglecting both nutrition and exercise you'll look, well, soft and squishy...".

Oh, what truth. That really rang true to me and its so, so right. I've been neglecting nutrition and exercise and I'm definitely soft and squishy. Not to mention I don't feel good about myself, I don't even want to get into pictures with my adorable little toddler because I'm so self-conscious about how I look. Its all because of what I've been putting in my body.

So far, I like what I'm reading about eating clean. But the diet is the hardest part. If eating well were easy, everyone would be in great shape. So, I'm going to try to start slowly. I think I'm going to try to start a couple of ways:

1. I'm going to try to start by eating 75% clean. This is big because I so rarely eat clean now days. This means no more soda. No more sweetener in my coffee or tea, I'm going to drink it plain or with only a little skim milk. Fruits and vegetables. Less bread.

2. I'm going to eat smaller dinners. Dinners are usually my big meals. I'm going to try and arrange to have three small meals and two good size snacks (or five small meals, whatever it is). This will not be easy, my mornings are typically super hectic.  My afternoons vary. And my dinners are big. Not only do I usually feel overstuffed and like a failure, but I usually get heartburn as a result. So, we'll give that  a whirl.

3. No more cigarettes. At all.  I'm done. I've gotten to the point where I only smoke at work anyway, so if I'm only having five-ish cigarettes a day, five days a week, quitting shouldn't be a problem. I mean, it won't be easy, in fact this will probably be the hardest part, but I'll have an easier time quitting than any other time I've quit smoking, because its not full-time. So, there's that. No more cigs. *Deep breath* I can do this. I don't need cigarettes.

And finally, at the advice of my friends who have been at this a much longer time than myself, I'm starting out with a small goal. I'm giving myself two months to lose those first ten pounds. I know that's a shorter time frame than most recommend, but since I'm starting so heavy, and with such a poor diet, I really think the initial changes and initial loss will be quicker than usual. I'll give myself more time to lose the additional ten pound "chunks" as I go, but for the first ten, its two months. If I meet the goal early, I'll set up a new goal. If I don't meet it in time, .... no.  I'll meet it in time. That's the point of goals, right?  So, that's two months starting today.  That's a weight of 188 by November 22. Boom!

Wish me luck!  Watch on Wednesday evening for a weigh-in!

No comments: